Thursday 30 May 2013

Flashback: The Force of Life in American Beauty

I watched American Beauty for the first time yesterday and let's just say I'm seeing red everywhere. Now, red is definitely a symbol in the film. And although red is used many times in the film to symbolize many things like danger, violence, passion, lust, the screenwriter Alan Ball generally uses it to signify a life force for the characters. And this life force initiates a transformation among them.



The cinematography and mise en scene is vividly compelling, and I can tell I'd have to watch the film another good 50 times to truly catch all the meanings, depths, and symbolism in the film. And even then, that may not be enough. With that said, what truly makes the film what it is, is the writing. Along with winning 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, this film also has the award for best Screenplay. Which leads me to my next point.

Screenwriter Alan Ball's own moment with a plastic bag inspired this scene. 
Movie Moment: A plastic bag dancing in the wind. Ricky shows Jane the video he shot of a bag drifting in the wind. It appears as if it's dancing. Moving by it's own will.
Ricky: "It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. Right? And this bag was just dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. That's the day I realized that there was this entire life behind things, and this incredibly benevolent force that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever...it helps me remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
The juxtaposition of the bag and Ricky's dialogue is a haunting experience. It pulls you in, captivating you. In that moment, it's as if Ricky is revealing a secret. But not just any secret solely bound to the film and it's characters. He reminds us of the simplicity, the beauty of simplicity, and the beauty of life. It's as if as we are looking right into the eye of our life force, whatever it may be. True monumental moments in film exist when they can connect with us on a deeper metaphysical level. And this moment does just that.

What was your American Beauty movie moment?

(p.s. happy belated birthday to American Beauty's Annette Bening who turned 55 yesterday)




No comments:

Post a Comment